(pressebox) Vancouver, 30.03.2009, Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR – TSX: SW) today introduced the Sierra Wireless AirCard(R) 402, the first product in the Sierra Wireless AirCard product line to offer 2-in-1 functionality. The AirCard 402 is a PC Card that offers the convenience of switching to the ExpressCard form factor whenever required. By offering both PC and ExpressCard form factors in a single device, Sierra Wireless spares customers the expense of purchasing a new mobile broadband device when they upgrade their notebook computers.
Designed for time-crunched mobile professionals, the AirCard 402 data card is remarkably compact and simple to use. It can be safely stored in the computer’s PC Card slot or ExpressCard slot for quick and easy internet access on-the-fly – its low profile and durable design allows users to carry the notebook with the card in place, and the AirCard 402 can be set to reconnect automatically when the computer is reopened.
"As technology standards evolve, customers want to be assured that when they invest in a data card, it will work with their next notebook computer," said Greg Speakman, vice president of Marketing for Sierra Wireless. "The AirCard 402 data card is our first to offer 2-in-1 functionality, providing customers with the advantages of working with a data card form factor and the flexibility to upgrade their notebooks whenever they please without sacrificing compatibility. Additional features such as TRU-Install automatic software installation and integrated, easy-to-use GPS support make the AirCard 402 a very compelling product, particularly for time-crunched mobile professionals."
The AirCard 402 data card is designed for EV-DO Rev. A networks, offering high speed data connections of up to 3.1 Mbps on the downlink and up to 1.8 Mbps on the uplink. Through the convenience of Sierra Wireless TRU-Locate(TM), a high performance built-in global positioning system (GPS), users can quickly and accurately establish location for local searches and navigation.
The AirCard 402 data card offers the same lighted graphic treatment that debuted with the Sierra Wireless USB 598, providing high-impact branding opportunities for network operator customers. It is scheduled to ship in the second quarter of this year.
Sierra Wireless AirCard 402
- Data speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps on the downlink and 1.8 Mbps on the uplink.
- GPS capabilities with Sierra Wireless TRU-Locate(TM) technology to support mobile operator Location Based Services (LBS) for accurate and fast time-to-signal fix.
- Sierra Wireless GPS Monitor enables the user to enable/disable the modem’s GPS capability, collects and displays all the GPS information, and is integrated with location services from popular online mapping sites.
- Sierra Wireless TRU-Install(TM) software installation technology is preloaded on the device, guiding first-time users through quick installation of the drivers and full software client with no CD required.
- Sierra Wireless Watcher(TM) connection manager offers a simple and intuitive dashboard that provides status, performance, and network information, as well as support for sending and receiving SMS messages, call usage history and tracking, phonebook capability, and online help including frequently asked questions and troubleshooting tips.
- Supports Windows 7 Mobile Broadband, which simplifies the user experience by enabling the mobile broadband connection within the View Available Networks feature within Windows.(*)
Sierra Wireless will demonstrate the AirCard 402 data card at CTIA Wireless 2009, to be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center from April 1 to 3.
For more information about the Sierra Wireless AirCard(R) 402 please visit http://www.sierrawireless.com/…. To contact the Sierra Wireless Sales Desk, call +1 (604) 232-1488 or e-mail email@example.com.
(*) To be delivered in a post-launch firmware update.Über Sierra Wireless Inc.
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR – TSX: SW) modems and software connect people and systems to mobile broadband networks around the world. The Company offers a diverse product portfolio addressing enterprise, consumer, original equipment manufacturer, specialized vertical industry, and machine-to-machine markets, and provides professional services to customers requiring expertise in wireless design, integration, and carrier certification. For more information about Sierra Wireless, visit www.sierrawireless.com.
“AirCard” is a registered trademark of Sierra Wireless. “TRU-Install,” “TRU-Locate,” and “Sierra Wireless Watcher” are trademarks of Sierra Wireless. Other product or service names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.